Monday, January 27, 2014

torres del paine, chile


this is how much food i brought on my 8 day trip. i hurried through and got out in 7, so there was a little extra, but i never found myself too hungry. definitely a lesson in how to go ultra light.


day one. windy fields, old fire scarred trees, scattered rain, fields of daisies.



day two. doubled up, walked two days in one. rolling hills, lakes, old beech forest, and my first up close glacier. views of the the rock towers that the park is famous for through the clouds.


glaciar grey below me as i descend from the pass.


day three. over john gardner pass in the middle of a blizzard. had to stop at each trail marker in order to search for the next one. was worried about frost bite on my nose due to high winds and driving snow. made it over the pass, was feeling pretty bad ass for surviving, then heard "hola" behind me and a skinny guy in running shorts and a tank top goes jogging past me, doing the whole 9 day circuit in one day. damn it.




day four. a long slow descent from the glaciar and lago grey. my two long days finally caught up with me and my feet starting hurting bad. was finally on the W trail, which is much busier, but has better views of the rocks. 


my polish friend matt who hiked up to french valley with me for a wrap around view of the cuernos (horns) and other rock formations.



rocks are nutritious! the rocks here are famous for their black tops. magma that cooled inside the ground, then was revealed by erosion.


day 5. mostly a day hike up to frensh valley, then on to a campsite under lost cuernos. beautiful sunset over the lake 



day 6. last night. hiked up to the look out over los torres. long day. please notice tiny me in turquoise jumping from one rock to the other near the bottom of this photo. 


almost the same view, but with the rising sun on the towers. got up at 4 to hike up to the lookout and watch sunrise over a rocky ridge. just caught this before i headed down.

seven days is my longest hike yet, but it was much easier having set camps pretty close together and a group of people that i met on the train and shared meals with. i also bumped into two people i'd met in other places on the trail, which was fabulous. nothing like experiencing the calming solitude of solo hiking in the wilderness and the comforting embrace of community all in one day. 

i fly home on the 17th of feb, so at this point i've got about three weeks left, and have planned every day. more glaciers and hiking, a little hitchhiking, some more long bus rides, lots of mountains and lakes, and hopefully a few days at el bolson, hippy capital of patagonia, where i can rest, relax and do some yoga before my last week back on the farm, BA and heading home. 

i can't wait to see everyone again!

No comments:

Post a Comment